Garrettcom offers a full range of Ethernet, Serial and WAN products, including the new DX Routers.
GarrettCom's Strategic Industrial Network Architecture includes 6K Series Managed Industrial Switches at the Ethernet Core.
GarrettCom industrial switches such as the 6KQ, 6K8, and ES42 at the Ethernet Edge; hardened Dymec Links Serial Converters at the Serial Edge (with DX Serial Device Routers playing at both Serial and Ethernet edges) and hardened DynaStar DS1500 and DS2000 Series products providing WAN access.
Substation communication systems
A good substation network invites rather than inhibits growth in automation. Effective network strategies make each successive substation automation project easier to implement, building on an evolutionary plan and avoiding self-imposed barriers to functional or capacity expansion. Recent years have seen a dramatic increase in electrical power utility automation, specifically automation of substations.
Ethernet interoperable communications systems
The IEC 61850, a common communications architecture, was conceived to define the communication between devices in the substation and related system requirements, with the goal of enabling interoperability between a variety of intelligent electronic devices (IEDs) in substations and utility control and protection systems. Power utilities are increasingly turning to industrial Ethernet because of its high reliability and feature-rich specifications.
Built-in fibre, high-power and temperature operation
The IEC 61850 includes built-in fibre for high EMI noise immunity, 48VDC and 110VDC power operation, and extended temperature operating capabilities.
Additional features of GarrettCom products include:
- Fibre built-in to accommodate the user selection of combinations of 10Mb or 100Mb or Gigabit fibre media and RJ-45
- High-EMI noise immunity; reliable operation in the presence of substation electrical interference
- NERC CIP compliance for security
- IEC 61850 compliance, including GOOSE messaging
- IEEE 1613 class two tested for substations
- CrossBow™ station access controller (SAC)
- Power types such as: 125VDC, 110VDC, 48VDC, and worldwide AC
- Extended ambient temperature range, -40°C to +85°C
- UL-listed for safety
Third-party tested switches and software
To further its position as a leader in hardened networking products for the power utility industry, GarrettCom’s 6K switches with MNS-6K and MNS-6K-SECURE software underwent third-party testing for 61850 GOOSE messaging.
KEMA, a well-respected laboratory for testing and certification for substations, tested the 6K switches for functionality and performance. The KEMA tests were performed to confirm compliance with IEC 61850 standards.
Station access controllers for substation networking
In its range of substation-hardened networking products, GarrettCom utilises CrossBow station access to achieve high system reliability. The CrossBow SAC provides user authorization, session logging and central cyber security administration remotely, independent of WAN access, to central administration and control systems.
The station access controller gives utilities an expanded security solution for on-site and emergency substation access, regardless of wide area networking connectivity.
Ethernet small and medium switches
GarrettCom’s range of Ethernet small and medium switches includes:
- 6K16V; 16 ports, industrial Ethernet packaging for vertical mounting, convection cooled (no fans)
- 6K; PoE modules up to eight ports, power sourcing per IEEE 802.3af standard, for attaching PoE devices to 6K switches
- P62 (unmanaged) and mP62 (managed) hardened 6+2 (six copper, two fibre) heavy-duty outdoor switches
- Edge switch family; small un-managed, substation-hardened switches with six switch ports
- Converter switch family (media converters); two copper ports and one fibre port; four copper ports or four PoE copper ports
Industrial serial routers
GarrettCom provides DX industrial routers, which combine the features of a serial device server, Ethernet switch and an IP router in a single product. The DX1000-IR / DX900 offers four serial and four Ethernet ports and one WAN port.
Link converters convert serial copper to fibre and are hardened with 125VDC. Link converters include RS232 single channel, RS232 multi-channel and RS485.
Ethernet terminal servers
GarrettCom offers the DynaStar 1500 Ethernet terminal server (DS1500-ETS), which integrates three discrete networking functions: